NC chain maintenance

I’d been hearing a bit of chain slap in the last week so checked the slack on the NC700x’s chain this morning.

It was out of spec so I reset it to the smaller end of the proper 30-40mm value. Relubed with a spray chain wax.  Won’t know if it quietens down until I commute in.

I used my two current favorite Harbor Freight tools:  Continue reading

first grocery run

Admittedly not much of a grocery run (one bag from Dollar General) but the bag holding thingy worked great.  The bag[s] sits on the floorboard between your feet:
 photo 0338e5a9-ca68-4d65-8166-a2c860d49567_zpsus5a24o8.jpg
8gSliders319gBVT6PzL

I took the temporary test rollers out of the CVT and put the 13g sliders back in until the 8g ones come in.

Based on my testing I’d like to get WOT RPM in the 6-6.5K range and preferably the higher end of that range.

Max HP on the 157QMJ 150cc gy6 variant is usually given as “8.6 hp (6.4 kW) at 7,000 rpm”.  The engines are said to be significantly understressed hence the low power output & famous longevity.

Petcock

I also swapped out the trouble-prone vacuum fuel petcock for a manual one.  This Briggs & Stratton inline valve is a common swap:

BSvalve

 

After the install I ran it for a few miles as a reality check. Practiced  low speed maneuvers, tight turns, hard braking, etc.  One would think the low speed work would be much simpler due to low weight and very low CG and that part is true.  But the centrifugal clutch takes away a bit of control in those coasting slow, stopping, and then accelerating sequences.  I am learning to give more throttle and give it earlier to make up for the lag of the shoes engaging.  Once the clutch engages and the CVT is in its lowest “gear” there is no issue.  It will trundle around at 1 mph or whatever.

It was a good ride.  I don’t know why scooters are so much fun.

dinking around with the Gy6

A couple of interesting developments.  Got a refund from Dairyland insurance when they combined the scooter liability with my road bike’s full coverage.  The NC by itself was $400/yr and after adding the scooter the combined annual premium it dropped about $20.  I guess having a cheap 2nd machine dilutes their risk on the road bike.

Turbo fan test:  I did a test route then tested the heat at the valve cover (it was accessible) with the ‘turbo’ fan.  Average 156F in a few different spots.  I did some other stuff, swapped back to the OEM fan and tested:  158F average.  So too close to see a difference with my unscientfic method.  I’m calling it a wash for now.

Did a couple of roller weight test runs and noted RPM:
12g sliders from before = 4.5K  WOT
test kit average 10g rollers = 5k  WOT
test kit average 8g rollers = 6k  WOT
test kit average 6.5g rollers = 6k  WOT <— interesting

I assume the RPM should have gone up with the 6.5, but maybe my machine is not running optimally (fuel/air?) or something else keeping it from going over 6k.  Pickup is noticeably stronger at 6k.

I also installed the new keyset.  Ignition was trivial, the glovebox was a pain to get to.  I can’t get the seat release to pull far enough yet;  might have to tweak the bracket.

Scoot is inspected and registered

 photo 2016-04-28tags_zpsdodvikfc.jpg

The stator scenario took time due to shipping but the overall project cost has quite low:  $200 for the machine and ~$34 for lights, belt, and rollers.  The stator and puller together were $30 and would have cost less if I’d waited on the (literal) slow boat from China.

I also spent about $22 in fluid changes and fuel/vacuum line upgrades.

I am hearing mixed feedback on the “upgraded” fan so I will take some temp readings and put the OEM fan back on this weekend.  Also will try out some different variator roller weights to see what would get the scoot to hold RPM at 6.5-7k:
 photo 20160501_115431_zpscaxhc6ph.jpg

This is a testing setup with three of each size.  The variator holds 6 so you use 3 light and 3 heavy in various combos to test every effective weight.  When that is done you order all 6 rollers (or sliders) in the correct weight;  the test rollers are made only for light duty and not intended to stay installed.

 

Scooter back on track

Last time I posted (3 weeks ago?!?!?!) I needed to install headlights to get the little machine inspected and thus registered.

In which I test the headlights

I got the headlights in and installed them but couldn’t test as I’d lost the sole key.  😦  Eventually I realized I could pull the ignition switch out and hotwire it to run the bike and test the lights.

That worked and the lights were fine.  So I headed off toward Emory for Continue reading

scooter setback[s]

Two setbacks in this little adventure that have pushed my inspection/registration back another week.

Headlights

This machine uses HS1 35/35w bulbs (same wattage lowbeam/highbeam) but the more-common H4 bulbs are backwards compatible if they are 35/35w. I couldn’t find any HS1 or any low-wattage H4 at auto parts stores or Wally World. The HS1 and apprpriate H4 are available online from Amazon and elsewhere but won’t arrive until tomorrow when my 4×10 workweek has started again.

41sfkej8qhl

I hadn’t ordered them before because I didn’t know if the bulbs were blown or if Continue reading